Tuesday 1 March 2011

The making of 100 shapes..

I started to make the shaes for my final sculpture. I had previously decided that I would make 100 shapes so that it links in with task 2. I measured each shape out, 10cm X 10cm, meaning each one is 100cmsquared. I then used a compas to draw a circle in the middle of each one. After cutting them all out I then had to find a way to score a perfect circle. I did it by using a drawing pin to hold down a strip of card and then putting my scalpel through the card where the edge of the circle was. By twisting the square round you score the circle perfectly :)



Each card then had to be put together. i cut a diagonal like from the middle of each card and then pritt sticked the edges together. A few hours later.. 100 shapes were made!


Before sewing my shapes together as I had origonally planned I tried out a few different ideas of how I could put them together.Started off by piling all 100 shapes ontop of eachother and created a sortof bridge out of them.

The way the edges of the shapes stuck out at different angles reminded me of the Opera House in Sydney, Australia. Even though I really liked how it turned out I decided not to use this as my final idea as the whole point was that you could see each individual shape and with this you cant really tell how many there are.

This shape made me think of roses and the way petals are layered up around the center of the flower.The photo below is where I decided to line them all up in a row to create a sort of snake like shape.



No comments:

Post a Comment